Doc's Cluster Headache Journal

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

List of Medications.

LIST OF MEDICATIONS DOC HAS TRIED:

  1. Aleve (naproxen sodium): doesn't do shit for these.
  2. Maxalt: bad side effects. (2000)
  3. Zomig: seemed to sorta work ok (2000)
  4. Imitrex: makes your heart explode... resulted in horrific rebound (2000)
  5. Vioxx: banned by the FDA (2004)
  6. Isolyll: "makes me stupid but will kill pain" (1996)
  7. Prednisone: steroids. Makes me twitchy, insomniac. Unsure of effectiveness (2003)
  8. Axert: prescribed in 2003 but not used; trying right now (2005)
  9. Frova: major side effects, dizziness, dry mouth, nausea, etc, but maybe helped (2004)
  10. Atenolol: may take 2-3 weeks to work. Can't tell if it did anything (2004)
  11. Amitriptylene (1996)
  12. Relpax: have samples, have not used yet (2003)

2 Comments:

  • Try oxygen as an abortive, it works great for CH. 100%, 10-15 liters/minute, through a non-rebreather mask.

    Also, try Melatonin. 9 mg 30 minutes before you go to sleep, it helped me cut down the number of nighttime hits and intensity of the hits. You can buy it at your supermarket,in the vitamin section.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/02/2005 4:13 PM  

  • I have taken melatonin a very long time ago and don't recall it working for me. Perhaps its time to ty it again.

    It might be a bit more diplomatic to say O2 works great for YOUR CHs. I myself have tried it twice and it was disappointing at best.

    O2 is not effective for me on bad attacks. I do believe that everyone suffers a bit differently and that the remedies available work haphazardly at best. If O2 works for you on really bad clusters you should consider yourself very very lucky.

    I don't know why it is so hard for me to get advise from other people about things that work for them... I honestly don't want to come off sounding like an ass but as painful and horrid as CH are, I guess people get exited if something works even a small bit for them and want to share the information... personally I don't think any of us should ever say or imply to another that a treatment DEFINITELY works... if that where the case then we would all be fine and dandy.

    Thats not the reality of the thing...

    By Blogger Murdock Scott, at 11/02/2005 7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home