Doc's Cluster Headache Journal

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Don't Dare Fall Asleep! They Are Coming for you!

I had planned to make a triumphant post about not having a headache all day yesterday. I woke up, noticed that for the first time in a long time I didn't have any noticeable pain in the morning. I started doing some things that I had planned to get done during the day and even though this required me going out in the Texas heat and holding my breath as I rushed through fragrance and cosmetic areas of a couple of department stores, I started to notice that I still have not developed any noticeable headache by late afternoon.

In my hurry to take advantage of a pain-free day I didn't actually find the time to make a post. I'm sure that some of you who have headaches all the time understand, but it sort of the last thing you want to think about when you're feeling good. Instead, I spent time talking to my family, spending little extra time with my wife, and just doing some things that I wanted to do.

Well, all that running around must have worn me out, because I started to get very tired around 12:45 AM which is very early for me. Since I am trying to get my sleep cycles under control, I decided to take advantage of this and go to bed.

While about 35 minutes ago I was hustled out of my sleep by a migraine headache.

Now, some of you who've read my blog before may have heard me mention that I believe my headaches are actually triggered by sleep. In my experience, this is becoming more and more clear. It's almost like going to sleep puts me in a weakened state so that the headaches have a foothold. Like if I'm awake I have a fighting chance to resist them. And if I'm asleep, it's all over.

You know, its like one of those science fiction films. I'm sure there's been dozens. Where the hero or heroine can't fall asleep because that's the time that the alien entities take over your mind because you're in your most weakened state.

So it's 4:36 in the morning, I guess I got about four hours of sleep, and that's not bad for me. But if I'm lucky this pain in my head will fade pretty rapidly as it often sometimes does after I wake up and I'll be able to get back to sleep before the sun comes up.

2 Comments:

  • Hi, I'm a migrainer and I'm on Topamax. (I cough my brains out continually with this med)
    I was having migraines 2 times a week, but I've been migraine free for over two months now praise God with the new drug. I have a couple of suggestions for your sleep issue. Not sure if this will help, but.. thought I'd share anyway. Keep the heat turned down overnight. Sleep with the temperature cooler in the house. Much cooler. The warmer dry air seems to trigger my migraines. I drink at LEAST four 16.9 oz bottles of Aquafina a day. I used to love diet colas. I don't dare touch Nutrasweet anymore. The only soda I drink is Pepsi ONE. It is made with Splenda. Other than that, it's water ONLY. It's important to pay attention to all and any triggers as much as you can. I know, it stinks, but it's worth it. I love chinese food which is full of MSG's.. :(

    Hope this helps?

    Good luck to ya...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/27/2009 9:08 AM  

  • I know EXACTLY how it is.
    My self I have Hortons neuralgia and experience severe pain at random occasions, three or four times a day. I wake up with a headache in the morning (those few times I actually get sleep, often because of lack of sleep, I simply pass out), and then those attacks or what to call them. I've had it since seven and I can barely recall what headache-free feels like. It can go days without me sleeping too.
    I'm 15 now, and it is killing me. Just another thing I have to live with I guess. Aspirin barely helps at all, but at those occasions when it gets really bad, it at least eases it a bit. I'm afraid to become a pill addict though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/03/2009 4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home