Doc's Cluster Headache Journal

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I Get An Upgrade On Topamax

First off, I woke with only the faintest of headaches this morning but mid morning I started to feel Mr. M take hold again. So I was nice and mildly migraine riddled for my afternoon appointment with my Neurologist.


Long story short. I am going up to 200mg of Topamax per day over the next few weeks. Yay! hmmm. Maybe not so yay... lets see how this stuff messes with me. : P 

Side effects may include short term memory loss.

Side effects may include short term memory loss. So if you see me on the street ambling about... point me in the direction home.

Also, I am giving abortives another shot... Up the nose this time. I got some samples of Zomig in a nasal spray. Mostly for the migraines, as I have mentioned before, I figure by the time I know I am having a really bad cluster, I am 1/4 of the way done and pills of course, take too long to work so that is pointless. Imitrex injections make my heart race and cause bad rebounds for me, so that has been on my avoid list for years also. But I haven't tried the nose applied method, I don't think it was available back when I was really trying all the medications to abort clusters.

Still uneasy about Imitrex... I opted to try the Zomig. If it works on the migraines then I will get a prescription and I will have it on hand for bad cluster attacks as well.

 

4 Comments:

  • Hey Scott,

    I was unable to keep going on Topamax, it messed with me something awful. I'm suffering from chronic migraines, chronic cluster headaches, and something called S.U.N.C.T. (or "stabbing headaches"). I lost all my short term memory on Topamax, I was just completely unable to function, but I hope it works for you. I am very sensitive to medicines in general and was completely doped out of my mind on Topamax.

    Zomig Nasal is something I've been taking for years, and if you take it just at the very start of a migraine attack it can abort it. Unfortunately for me, it just returns once the medicine wears off. Zomig tastes horrible going down your throat, but the important thing is to take a huge inwards breath through your nose as you take it. That seems to lessen the impact on your throat somewhat. Too much Zomig can also lead to nose bleads, just so you're aware.

    Take care,

    Yoki

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/09/2008 3:46 PM  

  • wow, pretty much the same reaction. and have a glass of something very tasty, like Coke to slam it down with. YUCKO

    By Blogger deborah, at 5/14/2008 7:53 AM  

  • Yoki,

    S.U.N.C.T. is not something I know much about but it sure sounds like it sucks. Those in addition to clusters and migraines sounds like a particularly nasty mix. I am really sorry to hear that you got dealt such a crappy hand.

    Thanks for the Sharing your experiences with Topamax. I feel like I am pretty sensitive to medication myself but surprisingly, Topamax seems to be messing with me a lot less than other medications have. I'll just chalk this up to my peculiar brain chemistry I guess.

    Because other people seem to have really had problems with it, my wife and I have been keeping a close watch on my behavior and I feel much better than I did when I was on Depakote. She will go as far as saying I am greatly improved cognitively. We will continue to be careful though as my dosage creeps up. : )


    Hi Deborah!
    You guys are not exactly making me wat to squirt this stuff up my nose! heh.

    I have 2 "one shot" samples and I have been saving them for a "bad day". I'll keep some coke on hand so I don't gag myself. : )

    Maybe I should have a shot of whisky waiting... oh wait, thats a bad idea since booze triggers my headaches,,,, *sigh* I do miss drinking. : )

    By Blogger Murdock Scott, at 5/14/2008 10:01 AM  

  • I usually find the Zomig Nasal Spray to be quite effective. I hope it will be the same for you.

    By Blogger Diana Lee, at 5/14/2008 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home